7.17.2005

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

I'm worn out from a long week, so I have an idea. Basically, here's my plan for the post: recommend a couple of artist's and offer up some MP3's of a couple of songs that I've been listening to a lot lately. It's short, simple and damn sexy. Or something like that.

So, here's the goods:

MP3 Joanna Newsom - "Bridges and Balloons" (from The Milk-Eyed Mender)
I know a lot of people who dislike her (usually based solely on the strangeness of her voice), but her and her odd voice have really grown on me, a la Conor Oberst. It's chock full of harp-goodness wrapped in a Bjork-like menagerie of high pitched screeches and strangely beautiful melodies. It's not for everyone, but give it a try.

Her website is at this address.

MP3 Devendra Banhart - When They Come (from the forthcoming Cripple Crow)
Devendra is a little weird. His Grizzly Adams beard and songs about love for little boys will probably be a little disheartening to some. But to others (like me), his brand of chillingly dark country/folk music is pretty damn good. This is the kind of music that you could put to an episode of HBO's now defunct series Carnivale and have it work perfectly. Devendra is one of those really great songwriters that never really gets much attention and probably never will. Nevertheless, he's worth looking into if you're into... well... good music.

More information can be found at his website and a sampler from his album Cripple Crow can be found here.

MP3 Imogen Heap - "Just for Now" (from the forthcoming Speak for Yourself)
It seems like "Hide and Seek" has been getting all the attention, which is understandable, but I like this track quite a bit more. The harmonies are just gorgeous and it's a little more innocent then "Hide and Seek" (even though I do absolutely love that song). Frou Frou's front... um... lady can craft some really beautiful songs, and this is one of her best.

Check out her website.

And while I'm at it, here are a few more recommendations:

If you've never seen it, I recommend checking out the entire Band of Brothers mini-series that aired on HBO a few years back. It's out on DVD, so you should be able to find it to rent/buy. It's really great stuff. The entire series is one big collection of stories that come are emotional, powerful, funny, visually gorgeous, and very poignant. Amazon has the info on the DVD here.

I've been reading a lot of Carl Sandburg lately. So, I recommend at least checking out his poetry, which can be found with a quick search on Google.



What? No Sufjan today? I can't have that happen:

MP3 The Star Spangled Banner (Live) (from performance at Lee's Palace in Toronto, 11/16/04)
This is great rendition of this oldie. Sufjan changes the lyrics around a bit, but I think it's a lot better then the one written by that Francis Scott guy...