7.28.2005

Castanets


I'm really suprised it took me so long to get into Castanets. I mean, after all, they are on the same the label as the great Sufjan Stevens. Castanets is what I'd call "raw," but not in the sense that his talent has yet to be developed. In fact, that's far from the case. His vocals are pushed and stressed, yet stray from being grating or harsh. He sings the way you'd expect to hear a blues singer sing, stressing the emotion behind the voice, rather then the talent of the voice itself. His songs have the same folk/country-inspired eclectic innocence that labelmate Sufjan Steven posseses, giving off a universal sense of Americana that sounds perfect. Vocally, he sometimes sounds a little like Devendra Banhart and by the looks of his Sam Beam-ish beard, there's something about the Grizzly Adams look that makes you a lot cooler and more talented then everyone else. Its times like these that I wish I had facial hair...

From Cathedral
MP3 Three Days Four Nights
MP3 No Light To Be Found (Fare Thee Faith, The Path Is Yours)

More info is here.