6.17.2005

Three Short Reviews

I keep trying to think of things to do for this thing, so I've decided that every Friday, I'm going to write a couple of reviews of recently released CDs.

Coldplay - X & Y


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I know I mentioned it before, but this album just bores me. I appreciate Coldplay and everything, but I just can't seem to get into X & Y. The single, "Speed of Sound," is easily one of the more average songs on the album and doesn't really give a very accurate outlook on the album. There are a few highlights, however, such as "Fix You" and "What If?" The latter is singer Chris Martin's beautiful ballad addressed to his daughter, Apple. In fact, I think the best song on the album, wasn't even included on the U.S. release. "How You See The World" is one of their best songs in years, yet only made it onto the Japanese release as a bonus track. Most of the songs, however, don't do anything for me. I feel like I've heard it all before. Seems like a good band has finally leveled out musically.

RATING: 6/10

Image hosted by Photobucket.comHow You See The World (Japanese Bonus Track)

Buy it here.

------------------------------------

Common - Be


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It's rare that a hip/hop album will get any playtime from me. The genre has become too watered down and focused on the "bling" aspect of urban culture. However, the occasional artist or album will catch my ear. Common's politically and emotionally charged album, Be, is easily the best hip/hop album I've heard this year. The albums title song is as catchy as any pop or rock song, which peaks with the inciteful: "I looked into my daughters eyes/And realized I'm gonna learn through her/The messiah might even return through her/If I'm gonna do it/I'll have to change the world through her." Featured contributions from Kanye West, John Mayer, John Legend, and more, Be is one of those rare hip/hop albums that actually can grab and keep my attention with it's postive and powerful message. Worth a listen if you're into 2Pac, Talib Kweli, or Kanye West.

RATING: 8/10

Image hosted by Photobucket.comBe

Buy it here.

------------------------------------

Paul Anka - Rock Swings


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
As some of you know, I'm a huge fan of big band/lounge music. It just tickles me inside. Old Blue Eyes and Deano can put a smile on my face no matter what is going on. So enter Paul Anka. His newest studio album, Rock Swings, is a collection of modern pop/rock covers. These aren't Richard Cheese-esque, mind you, but very well done big band/lounge versions of very memorable songs. The arrangements are really well done and not rushed in order to just sell some records. Standouts include "Everybody Hurts," "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and "Tears in Heaven." The fact that he covers Eric Clapton's most famous track and does it well says a lot about the record itself. Definitely a nice pick up for any fans of lounge/big band music.

RATING: 8/10

Image hosted by Photobucket.comTears in Heaven (Eric Clapton Cover)

Buy it here.

___________________________________________________________________________

Odds and Ends

Damn you Tom, for proposing to my woman.

I've been wondering the same thing for a long time.

It looks like Dell is keen on Apple's OS.