6.14.2005

Shearwater

FEATURED: Shearwater


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
"Ambient/Folk/Pop/Country" is the best way for me to describe Shearwater. Beautiful and longing, their most recent release, Winged Life, is eclectic and somber, but doesn't bring you down in a way that you might expect. Lyrically, it's very honest and simple; not pushing too far, or coming up too short. With Winged Life Shearwater has created a record that is truly just very nice to the ears. Jim Sheff's somber voice (think Ben Folds having a really bad day) is perfect for delivering their mopy, Neutral Milk Hotel-esque songs about life, the great outdoors, and change. This is definitely the kind of album you could listen to while stuck inside the house on a rainy day. Just charming and beautiful. Worth the listen if you're into Sufjan Stevens or the aforementioned Neutral Milk Hotel and Ben Folds.

From 2004's Winged Life
Image hosted by Photobucket.comWhipping Boy
Image hosted by Photobucket.comThe World in 1984

From Thieves
Image hosted by Photobucket.comLet The Bomb's Fall (I Can't Wait)

**NOTE: These are not hosted by me.**

Check out more songs at their website. And buy their music here.
___________________________________________________________________________

Odds and Ends

Apparently, I'm not the only one sick of Apple's iPod Commercials. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple (although I'm still skeptical of their recent move to Intel chips) and my iPod, but those commercials just get on my nerves.

It looks like my poor Katie has been brainwashed. What a shame.

If this is any indication of how the new Batman movie is, color me excited.

The L.A. Times has a nice article about Sleater-Kinney.

I'm going with Firefox.

Some good new releases today including Dressy Bessy, Bear Vs. Shark, Brian Eno, and Aesop Rock (all links to Amazon.com via Largeheartedboy).
___________________________________________________________________________

Daily Torrents

Rocky Votolato - Burning My Travels Clean
Doves - Some Cities**
The Decemberists - Live @ The World Cafe, 6/9/2004**
Pete and Pete: Season 1**

(**=Requires Registration)
___________________________________________________________________________

Random Downloads

Half-Handed Cloud - "Animals Are Cut In Two" (from Thy Is A Word and Feet Need Lamps)
The Mountain Goats - "Two-Headed Boy" (Neutral Milk Hotel Cover)
The National - "Wasp Nest" (from Cherry Tree)
Iron & Wine - "Southern Anthem" (from The Creek Drank the Cradle)
Antony and the Johnsons - "River of Sorrow" (from Antony and the Johnsons)